The program leading to the BS in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Mechanical and Similarly Named Engineering Program Criteria.
Program Learning Outcomes (Student Outcomes) for the BSME Degree
Upon completing the BSME degree, students will be able to demonstrate:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Program Educational Objectives for the BSME Degree
Within 3 to 5 years of graduation, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) degree alumni from Rice will be exceptional engineers who are:
- Successful and on track to become leaders in the global workforce
- Engaged in lifelong learning by pursuing advanced study at top-rated post-graduate programs or new career opportunities in industry, academia, government, or non-government organizations; and/or
- Successfully tackling engineering and societal challenges for the betterment of humanity.
Enrollment & Degrees Awarded
Learn more about enrollments and degrees awarded for programs in the George R. Brown School of Engineering.